Skip to main content

Dumb Decisions

December 16, 2018

"Dumb Decisions" (12/16/18 sermon link)

After listening to Pastor's sermon on "Dumb Decisions" and digesting the teaching for a while, little nuggets of thought came to me reinforcing and adding to the lesson. Today it was through Psalm 27:14.

Sunday service was all about being aware of the process of making good decisions. When we are careless about the process, we can end up in situations where we are asking God to give us His will through the choices that we pick out. This isn't leaning on God's wisdom and trusting God. This leads to us making dumb decisions.

Pastor encouraged us to not be so anxious to come up with solutions to the obstacles, desires, or "gaps" that we have. It is important to recognize that God is doing something in you and in your situation during your period of waiting and expectation. "Sometimes God creates a void so that He can fill it."

The teaching was in tune with other reflections I've had in the past couple of days. A pretty famous blogger recently shared her story of God miraculously restoring her marriage. Her determination to wait on God and allow God to work on her husband while they were separated was brave. It was definitely an example of her being aware of the process it takes to make good decisions because she included God and trusted Him and didn't try to fix her situation by herself.

I reflected on her testimony and thought about the things I've been desiring and hoping for - promotion, direction, more children, and industry. I thought about my past testimonies and how it felt to acknowledge that I had no control over my situation, while believing that God could and would do something. I thought about how it felt when my doctor said, "You will likely never have a baby on your own," and I verbally told my husband, "God is good." I reflected on how painful the doctor's words were and how hard it was to acknowledge the goodness of God. Still, I trusted Him and in the next month, my baby was miraculously formed. Now, not every prayer is answered with a yes, or a right away response and God could be working on your situation for years. There are still hopes and dreams that I continue to wait for an answer on.

Psalm 27:14 says, "Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart." After hearing the sermon and reflecting on the thoughts that kept coming to me during the week, my prayer is to make me courageous as I wait on Him. My prayer and expectation is for God to make my heart strong as I wait for His better plan. King David said, "I would have lost heart ('fainted' in other translations), unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." (Psalm 27:13) We can hand our heart to God and ask for Him to strengthen it because it is hard to trust God in the process of making decisions and it takes courageous faith.

Thankfully, as with any exercise, when we repeatedly stretch our faith muscle and trust in God, it gets easier and easier to do. The situations and hardships may change throughout our life, but with a strengthened heart of faith, we can easily live in those seasons of voids. With a strengthened heart we can trust that God's better plan will absolutely be GOOD and WILL happen.

🎶🎶🎶- Isaac, by Hollyn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insignificance: Parable of the Lost Son

Hello! Women's Prayer Call Series: Parable of the Lost Son Today I want to share my thoughts on the parable of the lost son which is found in Luke 15 verses 11 through 32. When I read through this parable last week, I felt led to talk about the struggle of feeling mentally lost and insignificant because of where you are right now - whatever those circumstances may be. I want you to look at this story and see how Jesus is telling us that God cares a lot about the wellbeing of each and every one of us. I want to encourage you to see how valuable you are to God right where you are. So you know where I’m going with this. Here’s a quick summary of the parable, and I think it’s a good idea to read it in the context of all of chapter 15. Jesus starts with a story of a man losing one of his sheep; he describes how the man leaves the other 99 sheep to go after the 1 that was lost. When the man finds the lost sheep, he puts the sheep on his shoulders, brings it home, and gathers his friends ...

The Expanse

I participated in a Zoom prayer call tonight with other women at my church and at the end I just had that feeling of loveliness. It felt good, it felt connected, and it made me want to connect with God even more. I opened my Bible and read Jeremiah 2:2 .  Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the Lord, “I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown.” My thoughts after reading this was: Lord increase my wonder of You.  When things are brand new we have a strong urge to learn more, seek more, engage more. When the shine wears off, we become complacent and less interested. Maybe it’s because we feel we’ve learned all we need to know. Maybe it’s because we are too comfortable in the now. Maybe it’s because we can’t see the possibility of there being so much more for us to gain.  When it comes to my spirit and You, God, please open my eyes to see the expanse of all that you have for me to...

Advice, Short & Sweet

The chapters I've read and reflected on for the past couple of days had good advice that stood out to me here and there. I noticed an overriding theme that wisdom comes through controlling our hearts, reactions, and in checking how we relate with other people. Below is a list of verses that were key for me. Proverbs 16 gives good instruction on having wisdom over your emotions and spirit. 16:2 : This verse tells us that the Lord weighs our spirit. It's not enough to do the right things. God wants our motivations to be pure and righteous too. 16:20 : Here we see that using wisdom to handle the issues we face will bring about good results. We also learn that trusting in God, will bring us happiness. 16:32 : Here is encouragement to temper our anger. Don't let it fly off the handle. God tells us that controlling our angry emotions and spirit makes us strong. Proverbs 17 gives good instruction on having wisdom in how we treat each other. 17:15 : We should treat each...