Skip to main content

Proverbs: Our Teaching Tool

I am going to skip ahead of the many other things I wanted to write about to share what I read in Proverbs 22. This chapter became a pinnacle piece of Proverbs because it contains what I believe is an overarching goal of this book: To give us certainty in the truth we are believing and to respond wisely to those that come our way with questions about our truth.

Proverbs 22:17-21 says:
17 Bow down thine ear, and hear the words of the wise, and apply thine heart unto my knowledge.
18 For it is a pleasant thing if thou keep them within thee; they shall withal be fitted in thy lips.
19 That thy trust may be in the Lord, I have made known to thee this day, even to thee.
20 Have not I written to thee excellent things in counsels and knowledge,
21 That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth; that thou mightest answer the words of truth to them that send unto thee?

Thank God for the wisdom he gave Solomon. The world is benefiting from the truths and wisdom in Proverbs, even our modern day "gurus" who claim to have new ways of thinking. Below are some of the truths I have highlighted in chapter 22.
  • Equity: (Proverbs 22:9, 22:16, 22:22-23) God really cares about the treatment of the poor and expects us to be the ones to lighten their burden. He also will punish those that add to their burden. He will bless you for feeding the poor and take away the financial peace and security of those that oppress them. (See also: Proverbs 19:17, 21:13)
  • Discipline: (Proverbs 22:6, 22:15) It is necessary for your children's soul and future well-being to provide them with discipline and training. Last week my husband and I were wondering what in the world to do once we no longer had the crib to hold our son "captive" for time-outs. So far, that's been the most effective way to help him reflect on his behavior and be sorry for acting naughty. I joked that it would help if we had something like the bars of a crib to put in a corner for time-out, but it would feel too awkward, like we're imprisoning our son. My husband joked that we need the bars to keep him out of bars! Every once in a while my husband makes a good joke that's actually funny. Despite our teasing we could see that discipline is necessary, and this is clearly stated in Proverbs. While your children are young and influential, this is the best time to instill good character, obedience, and discipline into them. The hope is that when they are older, they will already be ingrained with self-discipline in order to make good decisions. (See also: Proverbs 19:18)
  • Friendships: (Proverbs 22:10, 22:24-25) The types of friendships we have are a reflection of who we are and they can cause a change in our personalities. Keeping negative people as close friends will cause frustration and make you ill-tempered as well. Solomon shows us repeatedly that having friends is very important and he warns us to cultivate positive friendships so they can be a blessing to your life.
Thank you God for the wisdom you freely gave Solomon and now have benefited the world through. Help us to treat the poor graciously, teach our children discipline, and retain friendships with positive people. Lord help us learn to apply your wisdom to our everyday conversations so we continue to show the world that you are the source of wisdom and truth. Amen.
♬Amen♮

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insignificance: Parable of the Lost Son

Hello! Women's Prayer Call Series: Parable of the Lost Son Today I want to share my thoughts on the parable of the lost son which is found in Luke 15 verses 11 through 32. When I read through this parable last week, I felt led to talk about the struggle of feeling mentally lost and insignificant because of where you are right now - whatever those circumstances may be. I want you to look at this story and see how Jesus is telling us that God cares a lot about the wellbeing of each and every one of us. I want to encourage you to see how valuable you are to God right where you are. So you know where I’m going with this. Here’s a quick summary of the parable, and I think it’s a good idea to read it in the context of all of chapter 15. Jesus starts with a story of a man losing one of his sheep; he describes how the man leaves the other 99 sheep to go after the 1 that was lost. When the man finds the lost sheep, he puts the sheep on his shoulders, brings it home, and gathers his friends ...

Advice, Short & Sweet

The chapters I've read and reflected on for the past couple of days had good advice that stood out to me here and there. I noticed an overriding theme that wisdom comes through controlling our hearts, reactions, and in checking how we relate with other people. Below is a list of verses that were key for me. Proverbs 16 gives good instruction on having wisdom over your emotions and spirit. 16:2 : This verse tells us that the Lord weighs our spirit. It's not enough to do the right things. God wants our motivations to be pure and righteous too. 16:20 : Here we see that using wisdom to handle the issues we face will bring about good results. We also learn that trusting in God, will bring us happiness. 16:32 : Here is encouragement to temper our anger. Don't let it fly off the handle. God tells us that controlling our angry emotions and spirit makes us strong. Proverbs 17 gives good instruction on having wisdom in how we treat each other. 17:15 : We should treat each...

The Expanse

I participated in a Zoom prayer call tonight with other women at my church and at the end I just had that feeling of loveliness. It felt good, it felt connected, and it made me want to connect with God even more. I opened my Bible and read Jeremiah 2:2 .  Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the Lord, “I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown.” My thoughts after reading this was: Lord increase my wonder of You.  When things are brand new we have a strong urge to learn more, seek more, engage more. When the shine wears off, we become complacent and less interested. Maybe it’s because we feel we’ve learned all we need to know. Maybe it’s because we are too comfortable in the now. Maybe it’s because we can’t see the possibility of there being so much more for us to gain.  When it comes to my spirit and You, God, please open my eyes to see the expanse of all that you have for me to...