Skip to main content

Thankfulness

God has a way of placing things in your mind to ponder over that you at first think are just interesting thoughts. Then later you realize, whoa - I needed that reminder for this situation I'm facing right now! You can look at it as God having quite the sense of humor, or call it discernment.

Since Christmas I've been tinkering over thoughts about thankfulness. This was spurred on by Madam Blueberry who realized that a happy heart cannot be bought. Madam Blueberry is a sad blueberry who thought that having more stuff would make her happy. (This is the first Veggie Tale that my two year old has watched all the way through and he loves it!) She later realizes that "a thankful heart is a happy heart," and didn't let herself get carried away with having stuff.

On Tuesday I got gifts that really excited me. Aloe plants that I can use to create my hair sprays and pomades. A coffee table that was never high enough of on our list of needs purchase. I received and gave enough gifts to realize how privileged I am. Then I thought about our flood damaged basement and my mind wondered, why aren't you frustrated about this woebegone situation? Why are you excited about decorating your living room when part of it is crammed with your basement stuff? Shouldn't you be thinking about how to make money to buy stuff to fix this mess?

God was working in the background preparing the posture of my heart. Instead of feeling stressed, I was feeling thankful that God blessed me with a home to live in. I was thankful to be able to share Christmas with my in-laws and a new friend and her sweet daughters.

As my husband and I drove home, I wrote down my thoughts about thankfulness and my basement. God's sense of humor was on full display for me to see when I got home. Guess what was waiting for me when I entered the house? Water flooding my stripped basement! Now, I don't believe God is "doing this" or "allowing this" to happen to us. However, I do believe that He knew what was coming my way and was preparing the posture of my heart. How thankful am I really?

Psalm 50:12-15 says, "If I were hungry, I would not tell you; for the world is Mine, and all its fullness. Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats? Offer to God thanksgiving, and pay your vows to the Most High. Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me.”

I just really liked this verse and how big and yet so intimate it makes God appear. He is so big and self-sustaining that He doesn't need us really. All these things, stuff, that we need to feel comfortable and taken care of, we cannot provide that to God. If He had a need, He could take care of it Himself! Yet at the same time, He does need our love and devotion and the best way of showing that is through thanksgiving and putting your money where your heart is.

It is not always easy to be thankful when you are swimming through tough storms. And I do not equate a flooded basement to a "tough storm." A tough storm is feeling lonely and trying to understand why your relationships keep sifting through your fingers. A tough storm is when you constantly feel like you're drawing the short straw, even though you try so hard. It's not easy to have a thankful heart, but there is deliverance for us when we do. Deliverance from our situation or, more importantly, deliverance for our soul.

Lord, give me a thankful heart. Help me to list and recall all the good you have done for me. From waking me in the morning, to giving me a place to lay my head and sleep. Help me to stay close enough to You to feel comfortable enough to ask for help in my days of trouble instead of entertaining thoughts of bitterness. Help us all to have happy hearts.

♬♬ The Thankfulness Song (VeggieTales)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insignificance: Parable of the Lost Son

Hello! Women's Prayer Call Series: Parable of the Lost Son Today I want to share my thoughts on the parable of the lost son which is found in Luke 15 verses 11 through 32. When I read through this parable last week, I felt led to talk about the struggle of feeling mentally lost and insignificant because of where you are right now - whatever those circumstances may be. I want you to look at this story and see how Jesus is telling us that God cares a lot about the wellbeing of each and every one of us. I want to encourage you to see how valuable you are to God right where you are. So you know where I’m going with this. Here’s a quick summary of the parable, and I think it’s a good idea to read it in the context of all of chapter 15. Jesus starts with a story of a man losing one of his sheep; he describes how the man leaves the other 99 sheep to go after the 1 that was lost. When the man finds the lost sheep, he puts the sheep on his shoulders, brings it home, and gathers his friends ...

Advice, Short & Sweet

The chapters I've read and reflected on for the past couple of days had good advice that stood out to me here and there. I noticed an overriding theme that wisdom comes through controlling our hearts, reactions, and in checking how we relate with other people. Below is a list of verses that were key for me. Proverbs 16 gives good instruction on having wisdom over your emotions and spirit. 16:2 : This verse tells us that the Lord weighs our spirit. It's not enough to do the right things. God wants our motivations to be pure and righteous too. 16:20 : Here we see that using wisdom to handle the issues we face will bring about good results. We also learn that trusting in God, will bring us happiness. 16:32 : Here is encouragement to temper our anger. Don't let it fly off the handle. God tells us that controlling our angry emotions and spirit makes us strong. Proverbs 17 gives good instruction on having wisdom in how we treat each other. 17:15 : We should treat each...

The Expanse

I participated in a Zoom prayer call tonight with other women at my church and at the end I just had that feeling of loveliness. It felt good, it felt connected, and it made me want to connect with God even more. I opened my Bible and read Jeremiah 2:2 .  Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the Lord, “I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown.” My thoughts after reading this was: Lord increase my wonder of You.  When things are brand new we have a strong urge to learn more, seek more, engage more. When the shine wears off, we become complacent and less interested. Maybe it’s because we feel we’ve learned all we need to know. Maybe it’s because we are too comfortable in the now. Maybe it’s because we can’t see the possibility of there being so much more for us to gain.  When it comes to my spirit and You, God, please open my eyes to see the expanse of all that you have for me to...