Skip to main content

"A Trouble-Filled Soul"

Today I read, Psalm 88, which in my Bible is titled, "A Trouble-filled Soul". It is sad, bleak, and a little depressing to read. The psalmist points out his isolation and feelings of being on the edge and not being able to take anymore. He sounds suicidal in verses 3 and 4. "For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave. I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength." In verse 15 he adds, "I am afflicted and ready to die from my youth up: while I suffer thy terrors I am distracted."

The psalmist states that his affliction is coming from God's anger. Verses 7 and 16 states, "Thy wrath lieth hard upon me, and thou hast afflicted me with all thy waves...Thy fierce wrath goeth over me; thy terrors have cut me off." I don't understand what kind of terrors the psalmist was experiencing or how God has afflicted him. However, the psalmist's prayers moved me.

1. He cried out and prayed to God day and night.

When we are suffering, don't give up calling out to God. The psalmist says he, "cried day and night" (verse 1) and, "called daily upon thee" (verse 9). Verse 13 says that the person suffering prayed so much in the morning that his prayers "prevented thee." I took this to mean the psalmist's prayers held God's attention and would not let go. This is a simple and encouraging reminder that we have a captive audience when we pray to God. He is listening and will allow us to hold His full attention. So, be persistent and insistent when you pray out in anguish.

2. He told God that his suffering would not bring God glory.

I thought this was powerful. It's a reminder that we were made to praise and worship God. The psalmist tells God that his purpose for living - bringing praise and worship to God - would be gone if he remained in his current condition. "Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? Shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah. Shall thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave or thy faithfulness in destruction? Shall thy wonders be known in the dark and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?" (Verse 10-12) These words, this prayer, persuasively begs God to reconsider the psalmist's condition and see what is happening to him. (As the psalmist says in verse 14, God had hid His face from him.) The prayer insists that God would receive more praise and worship from our healing and salvation, than from our suffering and death.

3. He remembered his ultimate purpose.

This brings me to the final thing that slowly dawned on me. The psalmist, in his depressed condition, either realized or remembered that God wants his praise. He remembered that God is his Savior. By questioning how his life purpose could be fulfilled in the grave, he acknowledges that praise is what he was created to do. Sometimes while suffering we can be distracted by other solutions and seek other methods to bring us peace and resolution. This psalmist reminds us to remember that it is only in God that we can find true salvation.

So, whatever you are going through, don't quit talking to God about it. Start praising Him before there's a resolution to your troubles, and remind Him of your God-created purpose in life. It's a hard thing to do when you feel mired down with depression. I pray that God sees and honors the trust we show when we go against our feelings and recognize Him as our Savior and praise Him despite the pain.

♪♪♪ "Ain't No Grave" - Bethel Music

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insignificance: Parable of the Lost Son

Hello! Women's Prayer Call Series: Parable of the Lost Son Today I want to share my thoughts on the parable of the lost son which is found in Luke 15 verses 11 through 32. When I read through this parable last week, I felt led to talk about the struggle of feeling mentally lost and insignificant because of where you are right now - whatever those circumstances may be. I want you to look at this story and see how Jesus is telling us that God cares a lot about the wellbeing of each and every one of us. I want to encourage you to see how valuable you are to God right where you are. So you know where I’m going with this. Here’s a quick summary of the parable, and I think it’s a good idea to read it in the context of all of chapter 15. Jesus starts with a story of a man losing one of his sheep; he describes how the man leaves the other 99 sheep to go after the 1 that was lost. When the man finds the lost sheep, he puts the sheep on his shoulders, brings it home, and gathers his friends ...

Advice, Short & Sweet

The chapters I've read and reflected on for the past couple of days had good advice that stood out to me here and there. I noticed an overriding theme that wisdom comes through controlling our hearts, reactions, and in checking how we relate with other people. Below is a list of verses that were key for me. Proverbs 16 gives good instruction on having wisdom over your emotions and spirit. 16:2 : This verse tells us that the Lord weighs our spirit. It's not enough to do the right things. God wants our motivations to be pure and righteous too. 16:20 : Here we see that using wisdom to handle the issues we face will bring about good results. We also learn that trusting in God, will bring us happiness. 16:32 : Here is encouragement to temper our anger. Don't let it fly off the handle. God tells us that controlling our angry emotions and spirit makes us strong. Proverbs 17 gives good instruction on having wisdom in how we treat each other. 17:15 : We should treat each...

The Expanse

I participated in a Zoom prayer call tonight with other women at my church and at the end I just had that feeling of loveliness. It felt good, it felt connected, and it made me want to connect with God even more. I opened my Bible and read Jeremiah 2:2 .  Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the Lord, “I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown.” My thoughts after reading this was: Lord increase my wonder of You.  When things are brand new we have a strong urge to learn more, seek more, engage more. When the shine wears off, we become complacent and less interested. Maybe it’s because we feel we’ve learned all we need to know. Maybe it’s because we are too comfortable in the now. Maybe it’s because we can’t see the possibility of there being so much more for us to gain.  When it comes to my spirit and You, God, please open my eyes to see the expanse of all that you have for me to...