Skip to main content

Washed my Robe

Today I opened my Bible app to find a chapter to read. There was a lot of friend activity and I was drawn to a verse highlighted by my brother-in-law. I turned to Revelation‬ ‭22 where it read:

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations... 
Blessed are those who wash their robes. They will be permitted to enter through the gates of the city and eat the fruit from the tree of life. (Revelation 22:1-2, 14)

I looked at these verses and thought - there is a song here! So, I decided to write it. Here are the words to this song I named, "Washed my Robe".

Washed My Robe 

Verse 1

Here I carry my robe
Dirty with holes
I heard of this river
Clear as crystal, flowing from your throne
I have nothing more to bring
No finer offering
Just these hands that are torn
Just these feet that are worn
Pre-Chorus:
Help me wash out my robe
I know it’s nothing to behold
But wash out my robe
So I can enter the gate to your throne... 
Verse 2:
Here I carry my robe
Tattered and shorn
I heard of a healing
Every season, medicine for all
I have nothing to exchange
Nothing worthy of love
Just this broken down soul
Just this heart that’s unclaimed 
Pre-Chorus:
Help me wash out my robe
I know it’s nothing to behold
Please wash out my robe
So I can enter the gate to your throne 
Chorus:
Jesus- I accept your love
That was poured through your blood
Your love paved a way
Now I’ll claim your grace 
Jesus- I accept your love
You’ve taken and washed my robe
Now I can enter the gate
And call heaven my home 
You helped me wash out my robe
Though it nothing worth to behold
Now I can enter the gate
And call heaven my home

I recorded the song as well. Here's the disclaimer (as usual): I'm not an instrumentalist and I've been sick this week. So expect to hear imperfection! 😅 Happy Thanksgiving!

-->

Comments

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and reflections spurred on by this post. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Insignificance: Parable of the Lost Son

Hello! Women's Prayer Call Series: Parable of the Lost Son Today I want to share my thoughts on the parable of the lost son which is found in Luke 15 verses 11 through 32. When I read through this parable last week, I felt led to talk about the struggle of feeling mentally lost and insignificant because of where you are right now - whatever those circumstances may be. I want you to look at this story and see how Jesus is telling us that God cares a lot about the wellbeing of each and every one of us. I want to encourage you to see how valuable you are to God right where you are. So you know where I’m going with this. Here’s a quick summary of the parable, and I think it’s a good idea to read it in the context of all of chapter 15. Jesus starts with a story of a man losing one of his sheep; he describes how the man leaves the other 99 sheep to go after the 1 that was lost. When the man finds the lost sheep, he puts the sheep on his shoulders, brings it home, and gathers his friends ...

The Expanse

I participated in a Zoom prayer call tonight with other women at my church and at the end I just had that feeling of loveliness. It felt good, it felt connected, and it made me want to connect with God even more. I opened my Bible and read Jeremiah 2:2 .  Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the Lord, “I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown.” My thoughts after reading this was: Lord increase my wonder of You.  When things are brand new we have a strong urge to learn more, seek more, engage more. When the shine wears off, we become complacent and less interested. Maybe it’s because we feel we’ve learned all we need to know. Maybe it’s because we are too comfortable in the now. Maybe it’s because we can’t see the possibility of there being so much more for us to gain.  When it comes to my spirit and You, God, please open my eyes to see the expanse of all that you have for me to...

Advice, Short & Sweet

The chapters I've read and reflected on for the past couple of days had good advice that stood out to me here and there. I noticed an overriding theme that wisdom comes through controlling our hearts, reactions, and in checking how we relate with other people. Below is a list of verses that were key for me. Proverbs 16 gives good instruction on having wisdom over your emotions and spirit. 16:2 : This verse tells us that the Lord weighs our spirit. It's not enough to do the right things. God wants our motivations to be pure and righteous too. 16:20 : Here we see that using wisdom to handle the issues we face will bring about good results. We also learn that trusting in God, will bring us happiness. 16:32 : Here is encouragement to temper our anger. Don't let it fly off the handle. God tells us that controlling our angry emotions and spirit makes us strong. Proverbs 17 gives good instruction on having wisdom in how we treat each other. 17:15 : We should treat each...