Skip to main content

Crazy in Love!

Jesus did the craziest thing to show love- He died for us


And Who’s plan was it for Jesus to do that? God!

  • The God who we think is unreachable, unattainable, mad and tired of our unfaithfulness 

  • God knew it would take doing something crazy to bring us back to Him. God wants us. 


Don’t be fooled- God has always wanted us. It’s us who always find a way to push God away. 

  • Ex: Israelites wanting Moses to talk to God instead of facing God directly

  • Ex: Israelites wanting a king instead of a prophet

  • Us: whenever we rest on a prophet or minister to do the work of going to God for us, without us reaching to God directly.

  • Even with our broken track record, God is so patient and loving that He keeps making a way anyway. Bending to our need for Him by making a way to be in communion with Him. He did the crazy, to claim us for Him.


Now, reflect on Abraham and his beloved son, Isaac.

  • God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac to prove his love for God

  • After seeing Abraham's heart, God stopped Abraham and gave him a lamb instead

  • The Old Testament has examples of God’s prophets telling people not to be like other religious groups who ritually practiced child sacrifice.

  • Yet here, God did what He detests and sacrificed Jesus. He did a crazy thing out of love for us.


Hear my heart on this. My point is not to say God is crazy, or that He has contradicted Himself in any way. My point is to press against the narrative that God is tired of us trying and failing, and trying and failing, to the point of being so fed up and no longer wanting me or you.


It is crazy to keep trusting someone who disappoints you.


It is crazy to keep loving someone who consistently fails to at least meet you halfway in their devotion to you. 


It’s crazy to hold out hope over years to see a change in the behavior of the one you love.


But that’s our God. He is crazy in love with You and me - His children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotions: John 12-14

Hi there! Here are my thoughts after reading a couple more chapters in John. John 12 : True Worship & Testimony My first thought is about how I show gratitude. Mary was a perfect example for us to copy. For her family, Jesus had brought Lazarus back to life and probably did other things that we do not know. We do know that they were all close. Mary literally poured out her gratitude to Jesus by giving him an expensive and precious gift and by serving Jesus in one of the most humblest of ways- anointing his feet with oil using her “crown of glory”. Her actions remind me of Revelations 4 where it depicts rulers bowing before God and laying their crowns down to him. This was Mary’s way of laying down her crown and honoring Jesus. How do I honor Jesus? What is most precious and valuable to me? How can I lay it before Jesus to show that I am thankful he’s my God? How can I use it to honor him, in private and in public? These questions are worth asking to help bring us to a place of tru

Practice Makes Righteous

There were two things that stood out to me in Proverbs 11 . I learned about using discretion and about generosity. Solomon's words show that those who practice these two things are wise. Practice being gracious: Verse 12 : He that is void of wisdom despiseth his neighbour: but a man of understanding holdeth his peace. Verse 13 : A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter. Practice giving lavishly: Verse 24 : There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty. Verse 25 : The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself. Verse 26 : He that withholdeth corn, the people shall curse him: but blessing shall be upon the head of him that selleth it. Last Sunday, my Pastor's teaching was on the Godly principle of giving and tithing. He pointed out that the expectation for us to give is a test tied to a promise. He ta

The Expanse

I participated in a Zoom prayer call tonight with other women at my church and at the end I just had that feeling of loveliness. It felt good, it felt connected, and it made me want to connect with God even more. I opened my Bible and read Jeremiah 2:2 .  Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the Lord, “I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown.” My thoughts after reading this was: Lord increase my wonder of You.  When things are brand new we have a strong urge to learn more, seek more, engage more. When the shine wears off, we become complacent and less interested. Maybe it’s because we feel we’ve learned all we need to know. Maybe it’s because we are too comfortable in the now. Maybe it’s because we can’t see the possibility of there being so much more for us to gain.  When it comes to my spirit and You, God, please open my eyes to see the expanse of all that you have for me to experience- i