Skip to main content

Experiencing Love: John 15-18

Worthiness...That's a word on my mind today as I think about this past week. I've had a few examples of friends showing me that I am worthy of love, at work and at my church. I'm reflecting on that word as I think about how God showed the world his love by sending us Jesus. We are all worthy of love, despite our background and situation. Jesus commands us Christians to love, something the book of John repeats over and over - and why is this? Because the world we live in and the people in it are broken and have a very hard time showing true love to each other. I hope everyone experiences this truth - that you are worthy of love - from the people and community surrounding you.
Below are some more of my thoughts from my study on the book of John.

John 15: Worthy Investment
Jesus invested a lot of time and teaching into his disciples. Verse 27 says, “And you also will bear witness, because you have been with me from the beginning.” Jesus was talking about the Holy Spirit and about the disciples doing the work of spreading his gospel. Jesus invested his time with the disciples by answering their questions and giving them a deeper insight into the truths he taught others. His time with them was not wasted. I've heard it said once how amazing it is that with a few disciples, Christianity has spread across the world and still exists today! Of course, the Holy Spirit has done its amazing work too of reaching people’s hearts and showing them Jesus, which has also spread the gospel. Jesus knew what he was doing by investing time into the disciples. Reflecting on that and his words about being our vine in which we bear fruit, makes me see that he is investing in us today too. Jesus wants to be our vine and wants his message to be spread through us. We are worthy of doing this work because Jesus, as our vine, is our source of power and he has given us all we need to do his will, which is to spread his good news and make a positive impact on the lives of others.

John 16: Counting it for Joy
Being broken, figuratively and physically, is a key to growth and blessing. I’m reflecting on this thought after reading verses 20-22. Jesus alluded that his death would bring sorrow to his close friends; however, it would be through Jesus’ brokenness and death that something wonderful would be accomplished. I can relate to the parallel Jesus described about pain and joy. The day I prepared to have my son was a tough one. The poking, needles, blood, and aches. In the end, the pain was worth it and I was glad for it, because it brought forth my joy. What are the experiences facing us today that cause us to cry? What if they are not meant to merely go away but to do something - birth something miraculous for our lives and to meaningfully touch other people’s lives in order to bring them joy? Psalms 56:8 says God keeps track of and collects our tears. Collectively, these verses are a good reminder to ask God to make our suffering count for something wonderful, even if it’s a distant joy we ourselves will never see.

John 18: Keeping the Zeal
In the garden, Jesus shows us another example of what it means to be a friend and to take care of others. He told the soldiers twice that he is the one they were looking to arrest and said to let his disciples go. Jesus didn’t just show us how to love by dying on the cross. He shows us here too - by protecting his friends and also by preventing more violence from occurring, after Peter used his sword. We should love others by standing up to protect them from dangerous circumstances.

What also strikes me is Peter's decision to wait outside in the courtyard with a couple soldiers and a servant while Jesus was inside under trial. His Lord was inside under interrogation and he was outside sitting with at least one of the people who arrested Jesus in the garden. Maybe the circumstances were that he didn’t have special privileges to enter into the place where Jesus was held; however, his choice of where to wait was not wise. Also, where was the zeal of the man who cut off the soldier’s ear? Peter's zeal was long gone, replaced by some other emotion - maybe fear? Peter teaches us that where we choose to stand, to walk, to congregate, is just as important as the faith in our hearts, especially when you are newer and untested in your faith. When Peter was with Jesus, he was on fire for his Lord! Apart from Jesus and amongst those seeking to harm Jesus, his outward projection of faith shriveled.

It’s hard to live in the world and not be of the world, which is what Peter faced in that moment. Jesus knew he needed to be a sacrifice and leave this world so that the Holy Spirit could come and give us the ability to stand strong in our faith, even when it is unpopular or dangerous. While we are newly growing in our faith and in the Holy Spirit, it’s good to be careful where we choose to stand, walk, and congregate. With further growth in the Holy Spirit, just like Peter exemplifies later on in his ministry, we can withstand any pressure and face any obstacle that tries to pull us away from God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotions: John 12-14

Hi there! Here are my thoughts after reading a couple more chapters in John. John 12 : True Worship & Testimony My first thought is about how I show gratitude. Mary was a perfect example for us to copy. For her family, Jesus had brought Lazarus back to life and probably did other things that we do not know. We do know that they were all close. Mary literally poured out her gratitude to Jesus by giving him an expensive and precious gift and by serving Jesus in one of the most humblest of ways- anointing his feet with oil using her “crown of glory”. Her actions remind me of Revelations 4 where it depicts rulers bowing before God and laying their crowns down to him. This was Mary’s way of laying down her crown and honoring Jesus. How do I honor Jesus? What is most precious and valuable to me? How can I lay it before Jesus to show that I am thankful he’s my God? How can I use it to honor him, in private and in public? These questions are worth asking to help bring us to a place of tru

Practice Makes Righteous

There were two things that stood out to me in Proverbs 11 . I learned about using discretion and about generosity. Solomon's words show that those who practice these two things are wise. Practice being gracious: Verse 12 : He that is void of wisdom despiseth his neighbour: but a man of understanding holdeth his peace. Verse 13 : A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter. Practice giving lavishly: Verse 24 : There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty. Verse 25 : The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself. Verse 26 : He that withholdeth corn, the people shall curse him: but blessing shall be upon the head of him that selleth it. Last Sunday, my Pastor's teaching was on the Godly principle of giving and tithing. He pointed out that the expectation for us to give is a test tied to a promise. He ta

The Expanse

I participated in a Zoom prayer call tonight with other women at my church and at the end I just had that feeling of loveliness. It felt good, it felt connected, and it made me want to connect with God even more. I opened my Bible and read Jeremiah 2:2 .  Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the Lord, “I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown.” My thoughts after reading this was: Lord increase my wonder of You.  When things are brand new we have a strong urge to learn more, seek more, engage more. When the shine wears off, we become complacent and less interested. Maybe it’s because we feel we’ve learned all we need to know. Maybe it’s because we are too comfortable in the now. Maybe it’s because we can’t see the possibility of there being so much more for us to gain.  When it comes to my spirit and You, God, please open my eyes to see the expanse of all that you have for me to experience- i