Skip to main content

Parenting & Imitating

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.

Ephesians 5:1

Often I believe God designed parenting to be a reminder, or a beacon, showing us how He is a parent to us. God is full of love for us and desires to be with us. He wants our attention. He wants to give us good things. He wants to teach us. He wants us to mature. He wants us to be strong. He wants us to be leaders.

Conversely, we can also look at our children and recognize, as a reminder, what it is like to be a child of God. We want good things from Him. We want esteem and recognition from Him. We don't want discipline from Him, though it is good for us. We want to feel seen and loved by Him. We want Him to be present.

Some of my most touching memories is of my mother sitting in a hospital room with me. She didn't take away my pain, but she rubbed my back. Just seeing her concern for me gave me comfort. I love that God calls the Holy Spirit a Comforter. He provides a way for us to know that He, our Father, is always present, despite what we go through. The Holy Spirit will comfort us and let us feel God's love. He is a present parent!

I also love the thought of how imitating God can give pleasure to God. As a parent, I am so pleased when I see my son doing the things I've taught him. He makes me proud when I see him do the little-big things like, clean up after himself and behave politely and friendly with other people. When he prays and worships God, it stirs up my joy. He's picking up more and more of the things I've taught him and little by little, these things are becoming an integral part of his character. He is my beloved child and he is imitating me, and it is very pleasing! Imagine how much pleasure God is feeling when He sees us, His beloved children, who he sent His only son to die for, imitating Him.

Sometimes we get confused about God's love for us because we've either witnessed or experienced a bad parent-child relationship. Seeing a lack of love in a parent's effort to teach, lead, give, and strengthen a child, muddles what should be a clear picture of what it's like to have a Heavenly Father who loves us. The imperfect parents in our life have confused us about God's perfect love. Even more, the disappointment of God allowing us to live through experiences of having imperfect parents, confuses us about God's love for us. My only answer lies in the fact that people are by nature imperfect. We imperfectly reflect and imitate God. Some of us don't want to imitate Him at all. This thought helps me not to blame God for the misdeeds of parents.

This thought also cautions me to think about whether I am reflecting a clear image of God to my children because I am impacting their perspective of their Heavenly Father. Am I present - truly with them - seeing and hearing them as they go about their day? Am I teaching them good things and blessing them with rewards for learning and listening? Am I discipling them with hands and words that constantly reassures them of my love for them? Am I helping them get stronger in character and wisdom? Most importantly, am I recognizing my own imperfections and shortfalls and pointing my children to God, the One who is truly perfect and never makes a mistake? This is important because I, as a person, will most likely make a mistake in fall short of perfection. I need to tell them this so I don't muddle their perspective of God.

I love this verse in Ephesians. It's a reminder to be like God. It's a reminder that God loves me. It's a reminder of the importance of the legacy we are leaving. God, thank You for Your perfect example and for these reminders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotions: John 12-14

Hi there! Here are my thoughts after reading a couple more chapters in John. John 12 : True Worship & Testimony My first thought is about how I show gratitude. Mary was a perfect example for us to copy. For her family, Jesus had brought Lazarus back to life and probably did other things that we do not know. We do know that they were all close. Mary literally poured out her gratitude to Jesus by giving him an expensive and precious gift and by serving Jesus in one of the most humblest of ways- anointing his feet with oil using her “crown of glory”. Her actions remind me of Revelations 4 where it depicts rulers bowing before God and laying their crowns down to him. This was Mary’s way of laying down her crown and honoring Jesus. How do I honor Jesus? What is most precious and valuable to me? How can I lay it before Jesus to show that I am thankful he’s my God? How can I use it to honor him, in private and in public? These questions are worth asking to help bring us to a place of tru

Practice Makes Righteous

There were two things that stood out to me in Proverbs 11 . I learned about using discretion and about generosity. Solomon's words show that those who practice these two things are wise. Practice being gracious: Verse 12 : He that is void of wisdom despiseth his neighbour: but a man of understanding holdeth his peace. Verse 13 : A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter. Practice giving lavishly: Verse 24 : There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty. Verse 25 : The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself. Verse 26 : He that withholdeth corn, the people shall curse him: but blessing shall be upon the head of him that selleth it. Last Sunday, my Pastor's teaching was on the Godly principle of giving and tithing. He pointed out that the expectation for us to give is a test tied to a promise. He ta

The Expanse

I participated in a Zoom prayer call tonight with other women at my church and at the end I just had that feeling of loveliness. It felt good, it felt connected, and it made me want to connect with God even more. I opened my Bible and read Jeremiah 2:2 .  Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the Lord, “I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown.” My thoughts after reading this was: Lord increase my wonder of You.  When things are brand new we have a strong urge to learn more, seek more, engage more. When the shine wears off, we become complacent and less interested. Maybe it’s because we feel we’ve learned all we need to know. Maybe it’s because we are too comfortable in the now. Maybe it’s because we can’t see the possibility of there being so much more for us to gain.  When it comes to my spirit and You, God, please open my eyes to see the expanse of all that you have for me to experience- i