Skip to main content

The Goal: Closeness

A couple months ago I wrote about having Hope in times of pain. At that time I kept humming a tune that had been circling my heart for awhile and it helped remind me that God is always with me. The lines of this song that I shared talked about being draped and covered with God's presence. Since that time, I had been thinking about how to create this song of my heart. I started examining the back page of my Bible journal. This is where I wrote down a list of prayers to God for 2019 and looked at the right side of the page - the space for the answers to each prayer. Even though we are only 3 months into the year, that space was filled with answers that were joyful and some that were painful. God has blessed me with great opportunities at work and friendships, things I specifically prayed for. God has also said, no or not now, as we've lost another baby.

As I looked at this list and thought about the song of my heart, I was struck by the thought that through it all, I could see that I am getting closer to the goal, which is closeness to our Savior. Despite my disappointments, my trust in God has grown. I trust in his perfect plan and that in itself is so comforting. This revelation gave me the words for the rest of the song, which I've titled "Pages".

Pages
Verse 1
As I look through these pages
As I read all my prayers to you
Open and honest in what I’m needing from you
As I write down my journey
As I think of all I’ve been through
Recalling your promise, holding them up as true
I can clearly see – your love has carried me

Chorus
I’m covered in your love
I’m covered in your holy presence here
I’m covered in your grace
I’m covered in your righteous nearness here
I’m covered in your strength
I’m covered in your oil and fragrance
I kneel at your feet and bring you praise
I’m covered in your, I’m covered in your love

Verse 2
Celebrations and heartache
Tears of joy, tears of sorrow too
These pages tell a story of leaning on you
As I devote my time to learn
And my love for your Word’s renewed
My prize is in your presence; you’ve given me you
I can clearly see – your love has carried me

Chorus

Tag 
The victories, they fade
The troubles, they all fade
In the light of what is true
What’s held most dear to me and you
Heartache starts to fade
Triumph’s not the gain
Poured out on these pages is a heart entwined with you
And I can clearly see – your love has carried me

Chorus



*Remember my disclaimer -I'm not a professional so there's a few hiccups in my song. But I do hope you enjoy it and it compels you to take some personal inventory on your closeness to God too. It's so wonderful knowing we are not alone! Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insignificance: Parable of the Lost Son

Hello! Women's Prayer Call Series: Parable of the Lost Son Today I want to share my thoughts on the parable of the lost son which is found in Luke 15 verses 11 through 32. When I read through this parable last week, I felt led to talk about the struggle of feeling mentally lost and insignificant because of where you are right now - whatever those circumstances may be. I want you to look at this story and see how Jesus is telling us that God cares a lot about the wellbeing of each and every one of us. I want to encourage you to see how valuable you are to God right where you are. So you know where I’m going with this. Here’s a quick summary of the parable, and I think it’s a good idea to read it in the context of all of chapter 15. Jesus starts with a story of a man losing one of his sheep; he describes how the man leaves the other 99 sheep to go after the 1 that was lost. When the man finds the lost sheep, he puts the sheep on his shoulders, brings it home, and gathers his friends ...

Advice, Short & Sweet

The chapters I've read and reflected on for the past couple of days had good advice that stood out to me here and there. I noticed an overriding theme that wisdom comes through controlling our hearts, reactions, and in checking how we relate with other people. Below is a list of verses that were key for me. Proverbs 16 gives good instruction on having wisdom over your emotions and spirit. 16:2 : This verse tells us that the Lord weighs our spirit. It's not enough to do the right things. God wants our motivations to be pure and righteous too. 16:20 : Here we see that using wisdom to handle the issues we face will bring about good results. We also learn that trusting in God, will bring us happiness. 16:32 : Here is encouragement to temper our anger. Don't let it fly off the handle. God tells us that controlling our angry emotions and spirit makes us strong. Proverbs 17 gives good instruction on having wisdom in how we treat each other. 17:15 : We should treat each...

The Expanse

I participated in a Zoom prayer call tonight with other women at my church and at the end I just had that feeling of loveliness. It felt good, it felt connected, and it made me want to connect with God even more. I opened my Bible and read Jeremiah 2:2 .  Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the Lord, “I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown.” My thoughts after reading this was: Lord increase my wonder of You.  When things are brand new we have a strong urge to learn more, seek more, engage more. When the shine wears off, we become complacent and less interested. Maybe it’s because we feel we’ve learned all we need to know. Maybe it’s because we are too comfortable in the now. Maybe it’s because we can’t see the possibility of there being so much more for us to gain.  When it comes to my spirit and You, God, please open my eyes to see the expanse of all that you have for me to...